Sunday, July 6, 2014

Legend (not "Prodigy")

  "Legend" by Marie Lu, is set in a post- modern civil war time frame. So basically, after our time but before the apocalypse. What was previously North America, is now divided into two countries at war with each other. The Republic and The Colonies. Two teenagers named Day and June take our minds in this swift moving novel. They are both remarkably smart, fast, driven, and caring. However, Day is the Republic's most wanted criminal. And June is a military Prodigy, for the Republic, and is assigned to try and lure Day into the Republic's custody.
  I'm not going to lie, this book is so hard to write about. it's taken me over a year to figure out how to write about it. I absolutely loved it. I loved all of the drama (who doesn't?!) and I loved the light it shone onto what our society is deep down. The book illustrated the military side of our country, and the educational and the technologically advanced side with it. Lu also made sure to show the corruption in the military and the educational system and the modern technology.
  The romance embedded into the story is also dramatic and extreme and beautiful. I can't really talk about it without giving it away but I want to. The whole story itself is tragic and unfortunate. It's gripping and I couldn't put it down.
  I didn't, however, like how the characters fit the perfect mold society has created in a sense. It seemed like too much stress and responsibility to be put on teenagers. It would have been a little better if they weren't already in the adult mindset and if they fed into the "teenagery" habits a little bit more. Pressure doesn't affect Day and June like normal teenagers and it makes it difficult to relate to.
  Katniss cracked under the pressure placed on her. She had nightmares, and she kissed the wrong people at the wrong times. Tris shut people out at times and was fairly reckless in most situations. All I'm saying is these characters in "Legend" were beautiful but too perfect. Don't get me wrong, it was an amazing book, but like teenagers, it wasn't perfect.
 

I always write like I'm writing a school paper. I normally use a little rubric that I found when writing my first review and have recently noticed that I give a lot away and I sound like a Robot. This time I tried to break from that rubric a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment