Monday, July 7, 2014

Sarah Dessen

  I have decided that I cannot write a review for every single Sarah Dessen book... I mean I could, but I don't want to. Not because I'm lazy, or because I didn't like her writing, but because I loved her writing.
  I have read every Sarah Dessen book. The first one I read was "Lock and Key". I was 11 when I read it and still remember it. The story was about development and assimilation. And the most recent book that I've finished by Dessen is "Dreamland". It's a heart wrenching story about abuse and loss. In between those two, somewhere I read "Just Listen". It's funny actually... My name is close to the female protagonist's and my boyfriend and her boyfriend have the same name and the exact same personality... anyway... This is a story about falling outs, trauma, and mental illness.
  What I'm trying to say is Sarah Dessen captures basically everything into a collection of YA books. I also want to point out that all of the characters are connected to the other characters Dessen has created. A huge thing I look for in books is a way to relate to the characters. Sarah Dessen makes this so easy. Each girl is given a different back story, a unique personality, and a different problem. But each girl is written so amazingly that it's easy to relate to every one despite the differences.
  I don't however, like how we are thrown into the middle of a situation in the beginning of every book. Other than that, the books are easy to get into, hard to put down, and the stories stay with you for a while. 
  These books are geared towards teenage girls and that's who I'd recommend them to.

No comments:

Post a Comment